The recipe makes 2 full breakfasts for adults to whom breakfast is important. It can stretch to 3-4 if some of the persons are smaller or less peckish, or as part of a larger meal.
Print-Friendly Version (PDF)
Mix dry ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl:
- 1/3 cup thick-cut rolled oats
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk (amount may vary by brand - use the equivalent of 1 1/2 cup fresh milk)
- dash salt
- 1 heaping Tbs almond meal (pecan and hazelnut meal are also good, but you will need to use more in order to taste them much)
- 1 cup water
- 6-7 oz small chunks of fresh or frozen fruit, such as plum, apple, kiwi, or blackberry (we haven't tried it, but I expect mango would be excellent); or a smaller weight of dried fruit
- pears, blueberries or other delicate fruits are also tasty options, but should be added later as directed
- 2 tsp - 2 Tbs booze, such as rum, brandy, vermouth, or a liqueur flavored with almond, hazelnut, pecan, coffee, orange, or apple
- 1/2 tsp plum brandy--we use moonshine tuica from Romania (you really do NOT need more than 1/2 tsp) and it makes plums taste at least twice as plummy
- 1/8 tsp vanilla (especially good with pear)
- some citrus juice and zest
- a little candied ginger, diced tiny
- Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power (or 60% for frozen fruit) for 5 minutes (your microwave may vary--ours is 1100W).
- Stir, breaking up any clumps of porridge.
- Add pears or blueberries, if using.
- Microwave at same power for another 2 minutes.
- Let rest in microwave for 4 minutes.
- another 1/3 cup thick-cut rolled oats
- 1 Tbs flax seed meal
- 1/3-2/3 cup hot tap water, until desired consistency is reached